+91-9560 935 898
A Guide on Wireless Planning and Coordination Approvals

Importing equipment like Bluetooth or radio frequency identification (RFID) products into India can be daunting! What should import companies check against their product? Will they need to obtain an equipment type approval (ETA) certificate? What is ETA in the first place? To answer these questions, let's go over what ETA means.

What do we mean by WPC Type Approval?

The Wireless Planning and Coordination Wing (WPC) is the arm of the government that manages licenses for all types of wireless products, including mobile phones, tablets and desktops.

  • The WPC was formed as a branch of DoT to manage radio frequency assignments for landline, fixed, space and mobile/wireless services in India. Today, WPC is responsible for managing all wireless technology-related uses, including emergency services and communication and high-power broadcasting public alerts.
  • Bluetooth, Zigbee, and Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technologies in products like Bluetooth headsets, Wi-Fi networking chips and RFID tags will need to be regulated by the WPC India wing of the government of India.
  • Products using these wireless technologies must have an approval or certificate issued by WPC India before being used in a business context.

A brief overview of WPC Type Approval:

It's important to understand what equipment you are importing legally/legally. If any of your products are Bluetooth-based or Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) based, ensure that it has the WPC ETA certificate. This makes it easier for us to import the product and ensure there will be no issues while selling our novelties in India.

  • Equipment Type Approval (ETA) has to be acquired from WPC before importing any wireless device in India that functions in the de-licensed frequency band.
  • WPC ETA certificate should also be required for each product manufactured in India. Such devices include RFID, Bluetooth devices, mobile handsets, Wi-Fi technology, etc.

How can one get the approval?

WPC ETA can be obtained via self-declaration (provided you meet the stipulation criteria, including working in the de-licensed frequency band) or via an external audit by a notified lab, especially if your product falls under the import licensing requirements.

If you are trying to obtain an ETA certificate for your wireless product, in certain cases, it might prove to be too complex or hard to understand all at once. We recommend that you take help from an agency offering assistance for the said kind of job. Employing help from experts who are well versed will help you get your WPC Type Approval much faster and easier than if you try doing the same thing on your own.

Quick Enquiry